Temperatures are cooling off, the leaves are beginning to change, and pumpkin-spiced goodies have begun to hit the shelves. Fall is officially here, but before we are hit with winter’s wrath, consider filling your schedule with a locums assignment in one of these great fall locums destinations. Typically, providers set their sites on places like New England to take in Mother Nature’s seasonal beauty, however, we’ve highlighted a few underrated spots that could give your average fall destination a run for its money.
1. Northwest Arkansas. As one of the best places to see fall foliage, this locums destination boasts gorgeous hues of gold, red, and orange every autumn, when nature paints the mountains and valleys their breathtaking seasonal shades. Take a scenic drive through The Natural State to truly appreciate fall’s finest before stopping by Fridays at the Square, a fun festival that features carnival eats, live music, and can’t-miss shopping opportunities. There are also a number of great arts and crafts festivals, craft breweries, and farmers markets for you to enjoy in this bountiful region.
2. Iowa. Farms, orchards, and markets, oh my! The fall season is one of the best times to visit Iowa. Gas up your car and charge up your camera, because autumn is prime time for viewing this states spectacular show of vibrant red maples and vivid yellow ash trees. Aside from flourishing foliage, this locums destination also hosts countless fun fall events, such as the 2015 Fall Craft Show, Honey Creek Resort Bluegrass Festival, and the 2015 Pumpkin Walk. You’ll never find yourself short of ways to spend your day, whether you’re spending a Saturday morning at a Farmers’ Market or an afternoon sampling tangy craft brews or perfectly aged wines.
3. Central California. Enjoy clear skies and glorious fall weather with this locums destination. The Eastern Sierras boast stunning strands of aspen trees, while San Francisco is at its finest, as the fog has vanished and tourist crowds grow thin. Take a drive along McGee Creek, arguably the most beautiful three miles in the state, or witness one of the year’s most spectacular light shows, the Leonid meteor showers, from Yosemite National Park, Death Valley, or anywhere east of the Sierras. Truly indulge and book a night at the Inn at Benton and watch the show from the comfort of your own spring-fed hot tub.
4. Nebraska. Fall and football go hand-in-hand with this locums destination. Nebraska fans can be found on any given autumn weekend at the local stadium or sports bar cheering on their favorite team. After the game, relax with a weekend at a delightful bed and breakfast and wake up to a crisp fall morning in the country. Experience Kearney’s one-of-a-kind Oktoberfest, or sip on a glass of fine wine at a local winery as you watch the sun set over a Nebraska prairie. Whether you’re cheering on your favorite sports team, or lounging around the campfire roasting marshmallows, time spent outdoors in Nebraska is always time well spent.
5. Florida. Florida is more than just tan lines and surfing waves. As the temperatures cool down, Florida turns into a fall spectacular! As most of the crowd has returned home for work and school, enjoy weather warm enough to still appreciate the outdoors, yet not so hot you find yourself searching for the nearest air-conditioned hideaway. Celebrate the break from the heat and humidity and take to the streets to commemorate harvests, enjoy arts and crafts shows, sip tasty wines, dine on delicious cuisine, and listen to live music. Some mention-worthy events include the Florida Seafood Festival, Central Florida Peanut Festival, and Fantasy Fest.